Agent query package:
The complete service for writers who are agent-ready
You’ve done the hard yards.
You’ve written and rewritten your work more times than you’d care to remember.
You’ve responded to constructive feedback, and you feel ready to query a literary agent or approach a book publisher directly.
But your head is swimming with the details and logistics of how to go about it.
Is my synopsis okay?
What about my first page?
Have I forgotten a crucial element of my submission?
What do I even write in my query email?
And where to start with your search for a literary agent?
How do you know who’s looking for your kind of book? Who is eager to hear from a writer like you — and who you would be wasting your time in approaching?
I designed my Agent Query Package for writers who want some honest and constructive professional advice before they press Send on their manuscript submission
I’ve written successful pitches for book manuscripts. I’ve written nonfiction book proposals. I’ve reviewed countless pages of unsolicited manuscripts from writers from around the world. I’ve helped writers land agents and publishing deals for a long time.
Why waste weeks on agent research when you can get a customised report of agents actively looking for manuscripts in your genre and target readership?
Agent Query Package — what’s included
- You send me the following:
— a draft query email
— your synopsis (or, in the case of nonfiction, a chapter outline)
— the first ten pages of your manuscript
- I send you a list of questions to elicit additional information needed in the query letter, and for conducting customised agent research.
- Once you provide the information, I’ll edit/revise your synopsis and query letter (= 1st draft).
- We discuss your materials over the phone (Zoom, WhatsApp, telephone, carrier pidgeon — whatever suits you)
- I revise the query letter according to your feedback and send to you for final comments (= 2nd draft).
- I provide my agent research along with the 3rd draft (final) query letter.
At the end of this process, you will have:
- a professional query email suitable for approaching US literary agents
- synopsis that accurately and concisely describes your story in a way that will maximise its appeal to agents
- a detailed list of 25 relevant literary agents in your genre/subject area with public contact information and details of relevant deals
Revise your query materials ahead of time and maximise your chances of winning an agent — and getting the book deal you want.
Hello and welcome. I help writers and experts develop their work to a publishable standard, find an agent, and get published.
As the traditionally published author of two books, as a structural editor, former in-house editor and literary agent, I provide fiction and nonfiction writers with the sorts of commercial and constructive feedback you'll never get from a writing class or workshop.
Agent Query Package
My premium service for writers seeking a literary agent
My Agent Query Package is a blue-ribbon, comprehensive service designed for writers who feel ready to approach a literary agent.
The purpose of this package is to make sure that everything’s in order with your submission materials — and to provide you with a detailed list of agents who are actively looking for manuscripts like theirs, explaining the why and how of contacting each one.
You get one chance to impress a literary agent. Why not make sure you’re doing everything possible to maximise your project’s appeal?
My process is to assess and write (or rewrite) your agent query email and your synopsis, making sure that it ticks the boxes an agent seeks in an outstanding submission.
I also review your first ten pages from a prospective agent’s point of view. What’s working? What’s missing? What could be stronger?
We discuss your project and revise your materials as necessary.
PLUS you get my tailored agent research of the top 25 agents in your genre, style, or subject.
Maximise your chance of success by getting professional feedback on your submissions materials — as well as a list of agents looking for what you’re writing — before you send them out for consideration.
How can you improve your agent submissions without the insider’s perspective of someone who knows what agents are looking for? Save time and heartache by getting the feedback you need before you make a single submission.
Having worked with dozens of published writers as an agent and editor, I know what agents are looking for — and what things are an instant turn-off.
The Agent Query Package contains several steps:
- Send me some information about your project (or your draft query email if you’ve already written one), your synopsis, and the first ten (double-spaced) pages of your manuscript in a Word or Google Doc.
- I review your draft agent query email and synopsis, providing my comments, suggested edits and questions via annotations using Word mark-up.
- We have a conversation of up to 30 mins between the first and second drafts by telephone, Zoom or WhatsApp.
- I annotate my thoughts/suggestions on the first ten pages of your ms.
- I edit/review your second draft agent query email and synopsis.
- I provide a Google Sheet with the names and agencies of the top 25 US agents for the writer’s genre or subject, to expedite your submissions process.
- I read and comment on any revisions to the first ten pages you undertake in response to my suggestions within 30 days.