I have the highly unusual combination of experience as:
- a literary agent (though I do almost no agenting now, and in fact do some work for other agents and sometimes introduce writers to agents and publishers)
- a manuscript/book developer
- a book editor
- the author of two commercially published books.
For writers of fiction and nonfiction, and for professionals with special expertise, the benefit of that experience is that I understand:
- how hard it is to write a book,
- how far from publishable most manuscripts really are,
- how picky agents and publishers can afford to be,
- what will appeal and repel those decision-makers about a manuscript or book idea, and
- all aspects of the process of bringing a book to life and sending it out into the world.
There are few things more satisfying than seeing your book published well. I enjoy helping other people achieve that dream.