Agent query & synopsis review
Are you ready to approach literary agents, but want to feel more confident about the email (known as the ‘agent query’ or ‘query letter’) you’re planning to send?
Does your synopsis need an experienced pair of eyes to look at it first?
Have you been sending out agent queries and manuscript submissions — and not hearing back?
Literary agents and publishers are notorious for receiving a mountain of emails from aspiring authors. They’re also infamous for not writing back.
Your query email is the first thing these decision-makers see. Isn’t it worth getting an experienced industry professional to read your draft query before you send it?
In my work as a book coach and developmental editor, and as a former in-house editor and literary agent, I’ve seen loads of queries. Unfortunately, many writers set themselves up for instant rejection from literary agents and book publishers without even knowing it.
How it works: agent query & synopsis review
- Simply forward me your draft email and synopsis in a Word or Google Doc.
- I’ll read and respond to them with written annotations and queries.
- my thoughts on what’s working well in your query and synopsis
- the questions that cross my mind as I read them
- the likely reservations that senior sales and marketing executives might have, as well as ways to address them
- what’s missing from your query letter. (There’s usually one key element missing.)
In short, I’ll give you all the thoughts that cross the minds of agents and publishers as they review submissions. And identify the gaps that might cost you that invitation to submit your complete manuscript.
Lack of feedback is one of the main complaints from writers seeking a literary agent or book publisher. But my Agent Query & Synopsis Review gives you that feedback before you make a single submission.
Revise your query materials ahead of time and maximise your chances of winning an agent and getting the book deal you want.
Does your agent query letter and synopsis help you – or scream ‘amateur’? My Agent Query & Synopsis Review will help maximise your chances of winning a literary agent.
Hello and welcome. I help writers and experts develop their work to a publishable standard, find an agent, and get published. As the traditionally published author of two books, as a structural editor, former in-house editor and literary agent, I provide fiction and nonfiction writers with the sorts of commercial and constructive feedback you will never get from a writing class or workshop. Read more about me HERE
Agent Query Package
My Agent Query Package is designed for writers who feel ready to approach a literary agent.
My review process identifies potential red flags in your query email, synopsis, and first ten pages, from a prospective agent’s point of view. What’s working? What’s missing? What could be stronger?
PLUS you get my tailored agent research of the top 25 agents in your genre, style, or subject.
Maximise your chance of success by getting professional feedback on your submissions materials — and a list of agents looking for what you’re writing — before you send them out for consideration.
How can you improve your agent submissions without the insider’s perspective of someone who knows what agents are looking for? Save time and heartache by getting the feedback you need before you make a single submission. Make the best possible first impression and get closer to your dream.
Having worked with dozens of published writers as an agent and editor, I know what agents are looking for — and what things are an instant turn-off.
Lack of feedback is one of the main complaints from writers seeking an agent or book publisher. Don’t let that be you.
HOW IT WORKS:
The process has several steps.
- Send me your draft query email, synopsis, and the first ten (double-spaced) pages of your manuscript in a Word or Google Doc.
- I review your draft agent query email and synopsis, providing my comments, suggested edits and questions via annotations using Word mark-up.
- We have a conversation of up to 30 mins between the first and second drafts by telephone, Zoom or WhatsApp.
- I annotate my thoughts/suggestions on the first ten pages of your ms.
- I edit/review your second draft agent query email and synopsis.
- I provide a Google Sheet with the names and agencies of the top 25 US agents for the writer’s genre or subject, to expedite the submissions process.
- I read and comment on any revisions to the first ten pages you undertake in response to my suggestions within 30 days.