My clients attract Australian book publishers and literary agents accepting submissions.
Read what some of my writing mentoring clients say about how I’ve helped them to reach or get closer to a publisher-ready standard with their work.
Australian publishers, like book publishers everywhere, are hungry for great stories that are told well. Literary agents who are looking to accept submissions are searching for the same thing. Sounds simple, right?!
But anyone seriously figuring out how to get a book published knows that writing a book is not as easy as reading a great book makes it seem.
I love working with serious writers, whether they’re published or not.
Age, writing experience, and publishing history don’t matter when you are obsessed about your work in progress and are determined to make it publisher-ready.
When mentoring clients find me, they’re typically struggling with some aspect of their work in progress. They’re looking for a sounding board, some constructive feedback, and a sense of how their project might appeal to an Australian publisher or literary agent who is accepting new submissions.
(Most of my clients aim first for Australian publishers or Australian literary agents accepting submissions because they are Australian, though now being based in Brooklyn, New York, I have an increasing number of US clients too.)
While it’s gratifying to see many of my clients clinch book deals with Australian and US publishers, it’s possibly more meaningful to know that I’ve helped them grow as writers.
In the following testimonials, some of my clients describe the difference they feel working with me has made to their writing lives.
-Author | Truganini (Allen & Unwin 2020) | Non-Fiction
– Author, The Dogs that Made Australia (HarperCollins, 2018) | Non-Fiction
– Author, Lola Bensky (2014) Winner, Prix Médicis Étranger 2014 | Fiction / Non-Fiction
Virginia not only made me a better writer but was the reason I was able to get my first book deal. I couldn’t recommend working with Virginia and her team enough, whether you’re looking to get an agent or pitch publishers!
–Co-authors, The Talking Cure (Pan Macmillan 2019) | Nonfiction
Prof. Gillian Straker & Dr. Jacqui Winship
Professor Gillian Straker & Dr. Jacqui Winship
– Author, Choosing To Live, Choosing To Die: A Memoir Of My Husband (forthcoming in September 2021) (Australian Scholarly Publishing) | Memoir
– Co-author, A Good Life: The Story of Guy Winship and Good Return (Ginanderra Press, 2018) | Non-Fiction
– Writer | Fiction
– Author,>On the Loom: A Modern Weaver’s Guide(Abrams, 2016) andWeave the Rainbow(Norton) (forthcoming) | Non-Fiction
– Author, Paris Dreaming (HarperCollins, 2017) | Memoir
“Thank you for the thoughtful and constructive criticism. It has been helpful and I am glad I chose to use your service….”
– Writer | Memoir
-Writer, about her Agent-Readiness report | Memoir
— Writer, about mentoring with me | Memoir
– Author and Television journalist, China Baby Love (ABC Books, 2017) | Memoir
– Writer | Fiction
– Author, Becoming Westerly (Allen & Unwin, 2015) | Non-Fiction
“Virginia’s frank but gentle guidance was crucial in helping me to finish a manuscript that I could submit to publishers with confidence.”
– Author, Surrogate (Wakefield Press, 2017) | Fiction
– Author, Love in the Age of Drought, The Mothers’ Group, Wife on the Run, Fearless | Fiction / Non-Fiction
– Author, Conviction (Allen & Unwin), (forthcoming in 2022)| Fiction
“I am so grateful for Virginia’s knowledge and her mentoring around my whole writing project. She is just lovely to work with!”
– Clinical Psychologist, Author, The Woman Who Lost the Sun (Ocean Reeve Publishing, 2020) | Non-Fiction
Dr Carrie Hayward
– Author, The Dental Diet (Hay House, 2018) | Non-Fiction
Dr Steven Lin
“One of the most important hours I have ever spent talking about my writing.”
– Author, Have You Seen Simone? (Black Inc, 2014), about her work in progress | Memoir
– Writer | Memoir
– Author, Game, Set, Cash! (Black Inc, 2014) | Non-Fiction
– Sisterhood of Jesters (forthcoming in 2022) (Upswell Publishing) | Non-Fiction
– Writer | SF trilogy